Thursday, April 7, 2011

Bleh, new random post

I'm tired of this blog.  Everyday posting blows....haha

My times have dropped dramatically lately as my legs have begun to catch up with my heart and lungs.  I ran 4 miles the other week at 6:15 pace for an easy run.  My mile splits for workouts has dropped from averaging 5:45 to 5:30 with minimal rest.  I even accidentally pulled a 5:12 out when I was only going for a 5:30.  Hopefully I can start adding these miles together without rest into a decent 5K time.  I've been keeping my mileage at around 10-12 per week, and I haven't been pushing too much in terms of speed...but I think that's going to change.  I'm going to be pushing for sub 5-minute miles during workouts and going all out now.  3 months into my training, things are going very well and my results are better than I expected...but with only 2 months left until the race I can't afford to keep going easy.


On that note, I just found a BMX course that is completely muddy from all the rain we've been getting.  It's right next to a huge cargo net with two 25-foot tall posts.  Since Columbus is almost entirely flat, and Warrior Dash is going to be very hilly with obstacles, I got a little creative and came up with my own practice course combining the BMX course and the cargo net. According to Gmaps pedometer, it's .3 miles per lap without accounting for terrain.  My workout was 2 laps on the BMX course and then 1 time through the cargo net with touching the top of one of the posts and going a different route each time.  I ran this 6 times with no rest.  This was hands-down my hardest workout so far.  It was basically like running through quicksand with bricks on my feet as the mud caked on my shoes pretty badly and the mud was about 4 inches thick through half the course.  It took me 33 minutes to finish the 3.6 miles and 6 passes along the cargo net (each pass took around 1:30).  In my mind, this is the worst case scenario of what Warrior Dash is going to be like in terms of wind, terrain, surface, and obstacles.

I'm heading down to Sharon Woods tonight after work to try a different trail.  Then work on the house for a few hours.  Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment